Blog posted by Ste Pickford on Mon, 18 Feb 2019
Now I added some ‘puzzles’ to the faces of some of the blocks. I was aiming for a sort of Mayan ziggurat kind of thing - mysterious stone blocks recessed into the stone walls, suggesting indecipherable messages from the ancients. I wanted it to echo the puzzles of the game, but not actually be a literal representation of the game - to be a drawing that would still work completely separate from the game if required.
I asked Carleton for some of the puzzles from the game itself to see if I could incorporate them. Unfortunately most of the game puzzles were 10 to 16 pixels square, and most of my block faces only had space for 6 or 8 pixel square designs, so although I managed to squeeze a few of the smaller game puzzles in, most of them are just patterns I made up.
» Ste's Illustration Process Blog